Dubious About Cosmetic Dentistry? 3 Things You Should Know About It￼
Made famous by celebrities, cosmetic dentistry is on the rise! A survey conducted by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD) revealed that most dental procedures that patients asked for almost exclusively comprised of cosmetic procedures.
Cosmetic dentistry includes several procedures, from oral surgery to treating discolored, misshapen or chipped teeth.
Is cosmetic dentistry for you? Here a few things to consider before taking the plunge.
1. Cosmetic dentistry corrects a number of issues
Contrary to popular belief, cosmetic dentistry is not just about whitening your teeth; it includes a range of options to correct any dental imperfections. Crowns and dental implants, for example, improve your teeth in addition to straightening them.
Although cosmetic dentistry has been around for a long time, the materials used today are more natural and durable than those used in the past.
Options in cosmetic dentistry include but are not limited to:
- Teeth whitening:This procedure brightens stained and discolored teeth. Your dentist can best recommend the ideal teeth whitening procedure so you can have a dazzling smile.
- Bonding:For teeth that are cracked, chipped, broken or have spaces between them, bonding improves their appearance by bonding a tooth-colored material on the surface.
- Veneers:A celebrity favorite, veneers are porcelain shells that are custom-made to cover the front of the teeth, disguising stains and imperfections.
- Crown lengthening: A “gummy” smile can be fixed by removing excess gums to expose a lot more of the crown, giving the illusion of longer teeth.
2. Minimally invasive
A lot of cosmetic dentistry treatments are minimally invasive. For example, Dental veneers transform your smile by slightly removing the tooth enamel. Similarly, professional teeth whitening is completely non-invasive. It simply bleaches your teeth to rid them of the discoloration. Not everyone’s teeth can stand the effects of bleaching, though, so it’s important to consult your dentist for a teeth whitening method that suits you.
3. Cosmetics and your dental health
While it’s true that cosmetic dentistry is mainly about aesthetics, what people fail to realize is that it can improve your oral health too. Orthodontic procedures (straightening teeth) promote oral hygiene since you can floss and reach between your teeth much more easily. Likewise, repairing chipped, cracked or decaying teeth through cosmetic procedures reduce the chance of further decay and infection. Moreover, reducing bruxism (grinding) improves your teeth’s long-term strength.
We provide complete dental and cosmetic care
Looking for cosmetic dentistry in Virginia Beach? At Dr. King’s Family Dentistry, we aim to offer the highest quality treatments for all your dental problems. We offer a wide range of services: from cosmetic procedures like teeth whitening and veneers to general procedures like tooth extractions, root canal and much more. Contact us for more information.